World No 1. Novak Djokovic choice is a serious increase for the Tennis Grand Slam US Open after a number of headline names pulled out of the match. Djokovic had decided he will play the US Open.
Novak Djokovic confirmed on Thursday he’ll play on the US Open, ending the hypothesis about his presence on the first Grand Slam match because of the coronavirus restart. “I’m happy to confirm that I’ll participate at #CincyTennis and #USOpen this year,” Djokovic tweeted. “It was not an easy decision to make with all the obstacles and challenges on many sides, but the prospect of competing again makes me really excited,” the 17-time Grand Slam winner added. The US Open is because of get underway behind closed doorways in New York on August 31.
It is preceded by the Western and Southern Open, which is often performed in Cincinnati however has been moved to New York this yr.
The 33-year-old’s choice to participate is a serious increase for the US Open after a number of headline names pulled out.
The record of absentees contains four-time champion Rafael Nadal and lady’s world primary Ashleigh Barty and her fellow Australian Nick Kyrgios.
Djokovic makes his aggressive return after being closely criticized for internet hosting a charity tennis occasion within the Balkans in June at which he and a raft of gamers examined constructive for COVID-19.
Kyrgios was amongst these to serve up verbal volleys, describing Djokovic’s choice to place on the ill-fated Adria Tour as “boneheaded”.
Djokovic, president of the ATP Player Council, stated he was “deeply sorry” and admitted he and the occasion’s organizers had been “wrong”.
His affirmation that he’ll seem on the US Open got here after he initially expressed skepticism that the match will go forward, describing limits on gamers’ entourages on the match as “extreme” and “impossible”.
In a press release on his web site on Friday, he wrote: “I am aware that this time around it will be very different with all the protocols and safety measures that are put in place to protect players and people of NY.
“Nevertheless, I’ve educated laborious with my crew and obtained my physique in the form so I’m able to adapt to new circumstances.”
He said he had completed “all of the check-ups” and was fully recovered from coronavirus and was “able to get again on courtroom totally dedicated to taking part in my finest tennis”.
The winner of a record eighth Australian Open before the season went into lockdown said he respected and appreciated the “time, effort, and vitality” taken to place on the 2 occasions.